Great film noir mythologiezes our shadow side through the artful, dramatic interplay between darkness and light. Heist stories are elemental film noir parables. Criminal genius, schemes of instant fortune, the fickle hand of fate, and existential human reckoning are recurrent archetypal heist motifs.
Study, watch, and discuss six masterworks of film noir. Identify core philosophical, psychological, and social themes central to classic and modern heist films. Discover the many ways that film technique conveys metaphor and symbolic material. Develop and practice depth film appreciation skills.
Investigate multiple layers of archetype, myth, and meaning. Explore the film history and production backstory behind remarkable movies. Join a warm and welcoming community of film aficionados having a great time
exploring the beauty, magic, and art of film. Serious fun for movie lovers!
• The Asphalt Jungle• Crew of Gifted Specialists Seminal Classic
• Rififi• French Art of the Perfect Crime Underworld Thriller
• The Killing• Archetypal One Last Job as Existential Parable
• Dog Day Afternoon• Seventies Heroic Loser vs The Man Folk Saga
• The Spanish Prisoner• Mythic Trickery in a Labyrinth of Language