Hollywood’s Comedies of Remarriage brilliantly subverted strict thirties and forties Production Code censorship with sophisticated satires of gender, class, power, romance, and marriage. Their peerless screwball antics ingeniously disguised erotic interplay within quicksilver banter, wild gamesmanship, extramarital escapades, sparkling chemistry, superb writing, and masterful direction. Study, watch, and discuss six essentials of the genre. Explore the tension, separation, and maturation of opposites through philosophy, psychology, and alchemy. Unpack multiple layers of method, metaphor and meaning. Join a warm and welcoming community of movie lovers having serious fun building film appreciation skills. Engage in open-minded, lively discussions about cinema history’s best. Learn the language of myth and symbol central to all great art.
• IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT • Marriage as Outer Adventure and Inner Awakening
• The AWFUL TRUTH • Marriage as Performance, Play, Laughter, and Quippery
• HIS GIRL FRIDAY • Marriage as Wrestling Match, Mated Minds, and Partnership
• The PHILADELPHIA STORY • Marriage as History, Destiny, and Vital Humiliation
• The LADY EVE • Marriage as Foolishness, Gamesmanship, and The Fall into Wisdom
• ADAM’S RIB • Marriage as Midlife Role Review, Rivalry, Reversal, and Renewal